CANTON TWP. -- The contract of Kim Redmond, superintendent of schools, was extended when the Canton Local Board of Education met for a regular meeting on Feb. 11.
Redmond's contract was extended through July 30, 2018. Redmond was hired as superintendent of schools in August of 2010. She had previously served as the curriculum director for three years in the district.
Resignations for retirement were accepted, which included the following: Oscar Addis, Russell Angel and Kenneth Williams, all auto tech teachers and all resignations effective June 1. Other personnel moves included the approval of employing of the following personnel: Damaris Nolletti, long-term substitute at Walker and Faircrest and Pat Galida, on-line Latin teacher, both replacement positions. David Mullett and Kourtney Betler were hired as assistant softball coach at Canton South High School, with each being given a split stipend supplemental contract. All the positions hired are effective for the 2012-13 school term.
The board approved three overnight student trip requests. Canton South wrestlers were approved to travel to Columbus for the state wrestling tournament. The Canton South Sports Medicine students were approved to take a trip to Columbus for the HOSA Leadership Conference, March 21-22. The Canton South business students were also given approval to go to Columbus for the Business Professionals of America Leadership Conference, March 14-15.
In other business, the board of education:
• HEARD a report from Erin Cole, food service director;
• ADOPTED a resolution to participate in the Stark County Schools Council of Governments bus purchase program;
• ADOPTED a resolution to authorize the transfer of Red Ash Scholarship funds to the Stark County Community Foundation;
• APPROVED the second reading and adoption of board policy;
•ACCEPTED the following donations: from the Canton South Men's Club - $1,384.53 for donation for kindergarten books; two $100 donations from Canton Local payroll; to Faircrest veterans program at booklet honoring World War II veterans in the area from Carl and Velma Hookway; for Wildcats Helping Wildcats - $10 from sign sales and $67.92 from North Industry United Methodist Church;
• APPROVED a leave of absence for Kimberlee Shirlee;
• APPROVED the Sunday use of the Walker gymnasium for the Canton South Youth Baseball Association on Feb. 24.
The next regular meeting of the board of education will be on March 11, 7 p.m., at Canton South High School.