On Monday, Dec. 17, The Osnaburg Local Board of Education met in the media center.
Five elementary students presented their "wax museum" project to the board members. Victoria Wertz, Sophia Warner, Aaron Gothard, Gregory Weber and Cassy Wolfe from Molly Walker's multi-grade class dressed like characters they had researched and shared about those famous Americans. They represented Reggie Jackson, Babe Ruth, Amelia Earhart, Dr. Seuss and Michael Phelps.
In light of the recent tragedy superintendent Melissa Marconi expressed condolences to grief-stricken Newtown, Conn. saying, "The East Canton School community hearts are with the community of Newtown."
The board accepted a donation of $2,000 from Carol McAdow, earmarked for fund to provide personal needs of Osnaburg students. The fund is to be called the Ralph McAdow Memorial Fund in honor of the deceased 1959 East Canton High School graduate.
Elementary Principal, Melanie Davis thanked the parent teacher organization for all their efforts in presenting the "excellent secret Santa shoppe."
Erica Knowles, principal of the junior/senior high, expressed appreciation for the generosity of the student body. The staff and students collected baby items for 300 local families, the middle school student council collected canned goods for seven families, and the high school student council held a very successful coat drive.
In other business, the board of education:
• APPROVED a request for a two-year unpaid medical leave of absence to bus driver Beverly White;
• APPROVED the hiring of Larry Barrick as a bus driver;
• APPROVED minutes for the Nov. 19 regular meeting and the Nov. 15 work session;
• APPROVED allowing East Canton senior Austin Tekip to complete the school year in the district tuition-free despite his move out of the district;
• SET Jan. 14, at 6 p.m., as the reorganization meeting for the board.