FAX to 330-484-0113
* Happy St. Patrick's Day!
* Anniversaries this week will be celebrated by Roger and Connie Kuhn, Dave and Donna Giles and Ron and Annetta Horton.
* Birthdays this week are being marked by Larry Slutz, Rick Guinther, Jill Herstine, Dick Fliger, Diane Dick, Jon Schneider, John Kendrick and Brenda Brand.
* Get well wishes to Jo Brewster.
* Sympathy is extended to Helen Engel and family on the death of her husband.
* Thought for the week...Modesty is a shining light; it prepares the mind to receive knowledge, and the heart for truth.
Call or FAX 330-488-2622
* Birthday wishes to Joanne Hahn, Thomas Hanh, Gottfried Lehmann, Billi Snyder, Ryan Cross, John Rinehart, Sr., Becky Klotz, Kevin Martin, Ryan Williams, Jodi Yoder, Polly Blanc, Apryl Deheimer, John Seidel, Anna Thewes, Terry Tataur, Morgan Williams, Rev. Rich Thewlis, Brittany Truex, Randy Selby Sr., Dale Rupple, Allan Hill, Josh Clapper, Craig Adams, Shanna Hawthorne, Birdie Ferguson, Courtney Barnett, Curt Moore, Craig Adams, David Jones, Rob Coss, Logan McKane Helwig, Caleb Gregory, Helen Cross, Joel Snyder, Caleb Bailey, Jackie Crowe, Ella Carter, Jean Berkebile, Ryan Williams, Alexis Wellendorf, Angela Brumbaugh, JoAnne Shroyer and Shanna Dickinson.
* Anniversary wishes to Ray and Vicki Butler, Chuck and Dorothy Bucher, Bruce and Christine Seemann, Oscar and Irene Gobeli and Brett and Tona Stimer.
* The Foltz Community Center will host the 15th annual Tuscarawas Valley Friends of the National Rifle Association banquet on Saturday, March 21. Doors will open at 5:30 p.m. Only 250 tickets are available for $30 per person. The price includes dinner and two drinks and a chance on door prizes. The proceeds go to help promote Ohio projects, such as firearms safety and education, shooting range development, junior shooting programs and hunter education. For tickets or more info:rmation, call 330-868-5354 or 330-868-5165.
* Family night at the movies at the East Canton Branch Library will be on Friday, March 13, and again on April 10, from 6:30-9 p.m. Movies, games, refreshments will be a part of the evening. Families with the most members in attendance or bringing the most friends wins a prize.
* Just a reminder volunteers are needed for the spring clean-up in the village of East Canton. If you can help on Saturday, April 25, call 330-488-0220. Get your group or family together and help beautify your community. You can adopt a neighborhood street or help clean the village park.
* A family-style Swiss steak supper is being sponsored by Little Sandy Creek Ruritans on Saturday, March 21, 4-7 p.m. at the Robertsville Grange Hall on U.S Route 30, in Robertsville. (See related story on Page A5.)
* East Canton TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) recently elected 2009 officers. They are as follows: leader-Susan Huston; co-leader-Marilyn Shearer; treasurer-Donna Grimes and secretary-Ida Zimmerman. Servings as weight recorder will be me, Donna Robinson, and my assistant is Donna Grimes. The TOPS group meets every Tuesday at Mt. Tabor United Methodist Church, at 5:30 p.m. For more information, call 330-455-9587 or 330-488-0353.
* Don't forget to start gathering up all those items you would like to sell at the East Canton Village annual garage sale. The sale is set for Saturday, May 16, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Get your group or organization to help and make lots of money. Questions can be answered by calling 330-488-0220.
* East Canton Booster Club is now taking orders for its community birthday calendar (2009-2010). Get your listof dates together and place your order with Connie Deremer at 330-488-2394.
* The East Canton Rotary Club meets every Tuesday, at 7:30 a.m., at the Foltz Center. Rotarians throughout the world are guided in the things we think, say and do by the Four Way Test: "1. Is it the truth? 2. Is it fair to all concerned? 3. Will it build Goodwill and better friendships? 4. Will it be beneficial to all concerned?" New members are always welcome. For more information, call 330-488-6500.
* The East Canton AARP luncheon is set at Foltz Center for Tuesday, March 17, at 11:30 a.m. Country and gospel music will be presented by "Les and Jim." The luncheon menu consists of chicken cordon bleu, rice vegetable, applesauce and rolls. New members are always welcome. For more information, call 330-875-5865.
* A country-western dancing will be held on Friday, March 20, (St. Patrick's Day). Come out and kick up your heels and wear something green. Refreshments will be available. For more information, call Cathy Kaufman 330-455-2549.
* Please keep these folks in your prayers: Carol Talbott, Marge Sharp, Diane Leggett, Virginia Toalston, Nan Nash and Ruth Parsons.
* Something to think about: If all is not lost, where is it?
* Have a Great Week, Donna
* There was no Talk of the Town at press time.
* Happy birthday wishes this week go out to Nick Serafini, Tim Mercier, Sandra Karlosky, Tina Herstine, Jim Adkins, Barb Crowe, Katie Larson, Tracy Jones, David Loomis, Tom McKenzie, Barbara Good and Frank Pariano.
* Happy anniversary this week to Evelyn and James Longo and Paul and Susie Fritchley.
* Sympathy goes out to John, Bobbi, Jay and Liz Grossen on the death of John's father, Ray Grossen, of Columbiana.
* The Sandy & Beaver Canal Society will hold its monthly meeting tonight (Thursday, March 12), in the meeting room at the firehouse at 7 p.m.
* The Magnolia Area Historical Society will meet at the Isaac Miller Inn on Monday, March 16, at 7:30 p.m.
* Tickets are still on sale at the high school for the theatre department's upcoming production of "Annie, Jr." being performed this weekend, March 13-14. Advance seating may be arranged by calling the office at 330-866-9371. Come out and see the first major production in the new SV Performing Arts Hall.
* The Offenberger sisters are still taking orders for their annual Easter pumpkin rolls. The rolls are a full cookie sheet size when baked, and freeze very well. The cost is $9 per roll. Orders must be placed by March 14 and rolls will be made on March 21-22. Call Tammy Offenberger at 330-866-2154 to place your order.
* Orders for Angel Food Ministries will be taken at Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church through March 15. Call 330-866-9293 for more information. Distribution day will be March 21.
* The Sandy Valley High School Jazz Band's annual Moonlight Serenade dinner dance will be Saturday, March 21, at McCall's Banquet Center, on the corner of Cleveland Avenue S.W and Faircrest Street in Canton South. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m., and a silent auction and a 50/50 drawing will be held. Dinner will be served at 7 p.m. and includes roast beef/honey baked chicken, salad and side dishes, with desert and beverages. Tickets are $25 per person. All proceeds will benefit the Sandy Valley Cardinal Bands grades fourth-twelth. Tickets (pre-sale only) may be obtained by calling the SV Band Office (330-866-9371, extension 3300). RSVP by March 13.
* St. Mary's of Morges Craft Show will be held on Saturday, March 28, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
* Now that your clocks are all set ahead, did you remember to change your smoke detector batteries?
* Have a great week, Magnolia! Please call or e-mail your news for next week.
* This must be the week for Welker birthdays and anniversaries! Happy birthday wishes go out to Bill Welker, Zach and Joe Welker, Scott Welker and Adam Welker. Bill and Mary Welker are also celebrating their anniversary this week. Happy birthday to Zach Smith, also.
* Stark County Spring College Fair is Tuesday, March 17, 6-7:30 p.m., at Kent State Stark Campus. Over 50 colleges will be represented. This is a great opportunity for current sophomores, juniors and parents.
* The Welker family had a get-together for Shube's birthday last week. All the children and grandchildren were there to enjoy cake. Scott and Nan Welker brought homemade ice cream. Everyone had a wonderful time.
* Congratulations to local Sandy Valley senior, Allen Steffl. Allen was accepted to The Ohio State University Marion Campus.
* Jane Thorn's granddaughter had a baby boy Sunday evening. The baby weighed only one pound and 14 ounces. Keep this family in your thoughts and prayers.
* Idella Cline is in Mercy Hospital with a blood clot above the knee. She had surgery Saturday. If you know Idella, why not drop her a card this week?
* There is no Talk of the Town for this week.