- 1 of 1 Photos | View More Photos
The Mohawk Valley Garden Club has announced it has purchased three Blue Star Memorial Highway Markers to be placed along state Route 183.
The purchases are due to the generosity of American Legion posts, the VFW, several businesses and individuals.
A dedication for the marker in Waynesburg will be held Wednesday, Sept. 28 at 5 p.m.
The ceremony will take place at the new "old school park" on West Lisbon Street. It will coincide with Waynesburg's bicentennial.
Malvern observed its dedication on Aug. 17, and Minerva was scheduled to have its ceremony on Sept. 6.
At the close of World War II, a public spirited garden club in New Jersey began a beautification program along its highways to honor returning service men and women.
It was so successful that later in 1945, the National Council of Garden Clubs decided the program should be projected on a national basis. The council then made a study of the inter-regional highways of the United States. A Blue Star Highway system was outlined, consisting of one east-west and seven north-south highways.
Highway commissioners began a collaboration with the State Highway Departments. Finally, a uniform marker, designed by the founder of the National Council of Garden Clubs, was adopted. The design and name for the marker was chosen for the star on the flags displayed in homes and businesses, denoting a family member serving in the armed forces.
The concept has grown over the years to include two smaller versions of the plaque which are used in cemeteries, historic sites and veterans facilities. The Blue Star Highway program currently extends thousands of miles across the continental United States, Alaska and Hawaii. Those being honored now include all men and women who have served, are servicing or will serve in the armed forces.