EAST CANTON -- It was a short meeting for the village council on the Monday of Thanksgiving week.
Village Administrator John Shirley informed council that Mayor Kathy Almasy and he had interviewed Edward Collins for the position vacated by John Reinhart. Council voted to hire Collins for a probationary period. Since council member Nick Collins is related to Edward, he abstained from voting.
Shirley also reported minor problems with the new water lines. The chlorine levels are a little high in the area where the new eight-inch lines have been replaced. He said there was no danger with the water, but they are working to get the readings back to normal.
Shirley added that final blacktopping has been done, due to the nice weather.
Council member Jeff Marshall reported he is still working to get a grant to take down the old water tower on West Nassau. Marshall said someone from Mahoning County is helping him work on the grant. He said it is important the tower material be recycled.
In other business, council:
• ACCEPTED the resignation of part-time police officer Alfred Grey, effective Nov. 1;
• HEARD Shirley report a door at village hall needs a new hinge;
• HEARD fiscal officer Barbara Hall ask to set a Financial Committee meeting; the meeting was set for Monday, Dec. 3, 6:30 p.m.;
• PAID invoices of $48,596.40 and payroll of $11,896.56;
• WENT into an executive session called by council member Kurt Geis.