CANTON SOUTH NEWS
Wishing everyone a very happy Valentine's Day!
• Anniversaries this week are celebrated by Dave and Patti Stryker, Dace and Terri Collinsworth, Skip and Glenda Hughson and Don and Sherryl Morris.
• Birthdays this week are being marked by Ken Shultz, Nancy Greathouse, Christine Yeary, Don Duerr, Lee J. Bowman, Ben Graham, Jill Kendrick, John Medley, Jannie Plaskett, Keith Westlake, Jake Dale, Joey Lockhart, Rebecca Guilliouma, Marian Appel, Shelli Moore, Amy Ochensfeld, Haley Larkins, Dan Wissuchek, Tom Leetch, Tristan Haidet and Jim Clugston.
• Sympathy to Jerry and Jean Eversole on the death of his mother, Bea Eversole.
• Members of Canton South Junior Guild will be meeting in the home of Debbie Wissuchek on Jan. 19. It will be a "chocolate" exchange meeting. Members are also to turn in their orders for Tastefully Simple, which will be delivered at the March meeting. This is one of the projects members do to earn money for their scholarships to a high school senior and other community endeavors. The OFWC deadline for scholarships will also be turned in at this meeting. The forms were taken to the guidance office and the art scholarship to Chris Bergert in early January.
• The Canton South AARP Executive Board will meet on Thursday, Feb. 21, at North Industry Christian Church. The general meeting of the organization will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 27, in the Fellowship Hall of the church. The luncheon will be served at noon, with the business meeting and program immediately following the luncheon. Grace Thomas is president of the organization. New members are welcome to attend. Reservations are due for the noon luncheon by Feb. 19.
• Quote of the week…I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have. - Thomas Jefferson.
Call or fax
•Birthday wishes go out to Christa Stephens, Floria Lyons, Lucinda Motts, Fran Clayton, Jeff Jullman, Amy Monteith, Judy Spaulding, Mark Varian, Jill Wagner, Richard Daniels, Tom Davis, Norris Stringer, Ben Selby, Edna Coy, Logan Nestor, Ellen Givens, Sara Nofsinger, Archie Sanders, Bruce Seemann, Flo Shephard, Rachel Ward, Jim Walker Sr. Richard Hershberger, Don Miller, Joy Buxton, Dustin Hall and Frank Aquino.
• Happy anniversary to William and Dee Cosbie, Ira and Mary Nestor, Kevin and Harriett Weese and Steve and Sandi Brachman.
• The East Canton AARP will meet on Tuesday Feb. 19, 11:30 a.m., at the Foltz Community Center. The menu will include ham, augratin potatoes, vegetables, and coleslaw. Bingo will be played, and all members are asked to bring small, wrapped gifts. Reservations can be made by calling 330-488-1010.
• Free computer classes are being held at the East Canton Branch Library. Subects include the following: Windows on Wednesday, Feb. 20, 10:30 a.m.; Internet on Feb. 20, 2 p.m.; E-mail on Thursday, Feb. 21, at 10:30 a.m.: Microsoft Word on Feb. 21, at 2 p.m. For more information, call 330-488-1501.
• Becca's Closet Organization will conduct a style show at St. Paul's United Church of Christ, 306 West Church St. on Sunday, March, 17, from 2-4 PM. See related story on the church page.
• What's cookin at the Friday Night Grille held at the Foltz Center? Answer: Your choice of a sandwich, (including, fish, Philly cheese zteak, Italian sub, meatball or build-a-burger or chicken tenders, all priced at only $7.50. This also included french fries, coleslaw or applesauce and a drink. For more information, call 330-488-6500. • Keep these folks in your prayers:, Ellen Givens, Virgina Toalston, Nancy Owens, Denise Floyd, LeRoy Westfall and Godfried Lehman.
• Why do humming birds hum? Because they don't know the words. Why do birds fly south for the winter? Because it's too far to walk. Forget the snow, ice and cold... Remember spring is on the way.
• Congratulations to Nathan and Lindsay Morris of Sandyville, on the birth of their daughter on Jan. 21. The baby is named Andrea Marie. She joins her brothers Hunter and Ryan. Her grandparents are Greg and Nancy Mahoney of Magnolia. Her great-grandparents are Anna Mae German of Magnolia and Richard and Donna Mahoney of East Sparta.
• Congratulations to John Ditt, John Finley, Rebecca Finley Kendra Kerestes, Nicole Peters and Brittany VanDee for being named to the Dean's list at Kent State University of Stark County.
• Happy Birthday to David McKinney, Ronda Beck, Cory Offenberger, Jon Smoot, Patty Dazey, Mary Cooper, Keri Heppe, Steve Milhoan, Lynn Halsey, Karen Bargerhuff, Syvilla Jacoby, Debbie Orlando, Lester Pike, Betty Carper, Chris Nolan, Jeannie Cappillo, Grace Russell, Lisa Zastawny and Michelle Ward.
• Happy anniversary to Wade and Esta Harsh, John and Betty Lebold, Bill and Eileen Schneider and Sal and Jane Butera.
• Sympathy of the community is extended to the family and friends of Beatrice Eversole and Mark Criswell.
• Congratulations to Megan Darnley on being named to the dean's list at Muskingum University.
• The Pike Grange will meet on Feb. 26 at 6 p.m. This will be the dues paying meeting. There will be soup, salad and dessert. Beverages will be provided. Several Grangers are making soup. The other items, the Grangers should bring.
• Happy Valentines Day!
• Happy birthday wishes this week go out to Bill Bowman, Ken Heff, Olivia Green, Isabelle Hysong, Barbara Reece, Michelle Ward, Nevada Koch, Donald McKinney, Faye Loomis, Michael Grossi, Kay Hatfield, Sandy Fox, Kathy Taylor, Carrie Yoho and Christopher Morris.
• Happy anniversary to Josh and Kym Ellington, Daryl and Colleen Newell, John and Sally Little, James and Patty VanHorne and Larry and Marna Essig.
• Wishes of good health and God's healing go out to Buster Neice, George Cooney, Dakota Bolling, Alix Crim, Lori King, Peggy Dix, Nancy Pressutti, Chey Schubert, Rose Marie Shine, Justynne Hodge, and Walker Gonzalez, Kathy Wanner, Nancy Tolfo, Karen Owen and Art Pontones.
• Sandy Valley Class of 1978 will hold its class reunion this year in July, and a few classmates have yet to be located. If you know the location of a fellow classmate, message Teresa Spencer Lewis on Facebook.
• Sandy Valley Class of 1983 is planning its 30th year class reunion to be held on Aug. 31. Contact Steve Lancaster for more information.
• Mark your calendars now and please plan to attend and support the annual Sandy Valley Scholarship Banquet. It will be held at the high school on Saturday, May 4, at the high school. Gold and silver classes to be honored include 1963 and 1988. This is held each year to raise money for the Sandy Valley scholarship fund.
• Sandy Valley Girls Softball Sign Ups will be held at Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church (at the corner of state Routes 183 and 800, across from SV Elementary) Thursday, February 14, from 6-8 p.m. and Saturday, February 16, from 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Contact league president, Bob Crone at 330-866-4372 for more information.
• Get ready for the annual Lion's Club Rose Day. The last order date is March 8, 2013. Delivery dates are March 22-23. For order information, call 330-866-2084 or contact any member of the Lion's Club.
• Magnolia United Methodist Church will have a Family Movie Night on Sunday, Feb. 17, starting at 5 p.m., in the church fellowship hall. Pizza and popcorn will be provided. You will need to bring your own beverage. The movie that will be shown is "Mr. Popper's Penguins."
• Helping Hands Network will be needing donations of Easter candy for Easter baskets for children ages 2-12. Individually wrapped pieces of candy are preferable. Have your candy donations to the center by Feb. 28.
• The Sandy Valley Community Choir will present an Easter Cantata entitled, "God So Loved the World," on Palm Sunday, March 24, at 6 p.m. at Magnolia United Methodist Church. This will be the only community service during the season of Lent and offering proceeds will go to the Helping Hands Network. Choir rehearsals will be held every Sunday from 2-4 p.m. beginning on Feb. 10 at Magnolia U.M. Church. If you know music and enjoy singing, anyone is welcome to join.
• Magnolia Historical Society will hold a monthly meeting on Monday, Feb. 18, at 7:30 p.m. in their meeting room at the Isaac Miller Inn.
• Have a great week, Magnolia! Please call or email your news for next week, so you can be the Talk of the Town!
• Happy birthday to John Harple, Travis Bowling and Anthony Churilla. Have a special day!
• Happy belated anniversary to Rick and Lori Mizer. Congratulations on 38 years together.
• Happy Valentine's Day, Waynesburg. Please don't forget to send in your news!
SBltThirteen members of the Lunch Bunch attended the Feb. 7 meeting at Classic 57 in Minerva. Shirley Brigham of Carrollton, who plans the monthly get-togethers, presided and announced five birthdays for the months of January and February (the January meeting was cancelled due to weather conditions). It was decided everyone would pay for their own food at this years Christmas party. Glenna Blevins of Minerva told a joke that was true. The March 7 gathering will be back at the same place and time.
• Bill Shearer of Lakewood, Colorado traveled by plane to Ohio for a visit Jan. 29-Feb. 5 with his mother Francis Shearer in Robertsville and other area friends and relatives.