• Chinese New Year is Sunday, Feb. 10, and Mardi Gras starts on Tuesday and Ash Wednesday is on Wednesday.
• Anniversaries this week…Tim and Christine Parr and Jerry and Jean Eversole.
• Kristi Trompower celebrated her birthday on Thursday by going to one of her favorite places, Red Robin.
• Birthdays this week will be celebrated by Tara Breedlove, Donna Bednarz, Eric Kitzmiller, Brenda Steigerwald, Brandon Bowles, Rachelle Horne, Bill Griffing, Tawnya Wagner, James Gooding, Larry Malavite, Ruth Ochsenfeld, Cheryl Petrovic, Judy Drabick, Bryan Schoeppner, David Dick, Rose Reno, Jane Davis and Louie Thouvenin.
• Happy 8th birthday to Caiden Hendrix who is celebrating his birthday on Feb. 8.
• The Trompower monthly gathering was hosted by Lois Hattery at Bob Evans Restaurant on Jan. 29. There were 29 present. The next gathering will be held on Feb. 18 and hosted by Michelle and Terry Hinkel.
• Quote for the week…A good book is the best of friends, the same today and forever. -Martin Tupper
Call or fax
• Happy birthday wishes to Kenny Varian, Nathan Butler, Sarah Clapper Vesalo, Andrea Williams, Helen Davis, James B. Davis, Pamela Blanc, Ian Hicks, Larry Smith, Dorothy Bucher, Larry Cross, Jeff Burner and Donna Biedenbach.
• Happy anniversary to Dick and Marilyn Stauffer, Mike and Gayle Bloodworth and Kevin and Hollie Richardson.
• Last minute reminder that the East Canton Rotary will have its annual chili cook-off on Friday Feb. 8 at the Foltz Community Center. If you like chili, then this is the place to be from 4:30-7 p.m. Don't forget to try your luck at winning one of two 50/50 drawings at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m..
• The Lowell D. Oberly American Legion Post 667 meeting will be held on Thursday, Feb. 14, at 7 p.m., at the Foltz Community Center. For more information, call 330-488-6500.
• Senior Social Time will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 13, with a program by Shepis Chiropractics at 10:30 a.m. Lunch, served at 11:30, will include roast pork loin, mashed potatoes, vegetables, applesauce, dessert and coffee. Special note to those seniors who attend Senior Flex on Wednesdays: you get the day off, but don't stay home; come share lunch with all your senior friends. Call for reservations at 330-488-6500.
• Whether you're 2 or 102, everyone (husband, wife, grandpa, grandma, son, daughter, neighbor, friend, sister, brother and even a stranger) loves to hear "Happy Valentines Day." So please remember Feb. 14 is Valentines Day.
• The East Canton Library is having a Facebook Contest, on Tuesday, Feb. 19 at 3:30 p.m.. Come to the Library and use Macbook Pros to create unique snapshots, then vote on the best pics on Facebook. A winner from each branch will win a prize. Call 330-488-1501 for more information.
• A Book Club for adults will meet on Tuesday, Feb. 12 at 7 p.m., at the East Canton Branch Library. This months book is "Room," by Emma Donoghue, and it is a story told by a 5-year-old about his mother being held captive in a room for years.
• Line dance lessons are held at the Foltz Center every Monday. Beginners classes starts at 7 p.m. Cost is $5. On Friday, Feb. 15, 8-11 p.m., a country-western dance will be held. Refreshments wiull also be available. For more information, call 330-455-2549.
• The Osnaburg Historical Society meeting will be held on Monday, Feb. 11, at Werner Inn, on the corner of US Route 30 and state Route 44. Everyone is invited to attend and/or join. For more information, call 330-488-1684.
• Keep these folks in your prayers: Nancy Owens and Nancy Kinsinger.
•Is there a Doctor in the House? Doctor, I am seeing double. Doctor says, "Lay down on the couch." Patient: "Which one. - Doctor, I have a constant ringing in my ear. Try answering your phone."
•Forget candy, forget flowers. Get your true love what she/he really loves-- pizza. The East Sparta Civic Association is selling pizza for Valentine's Day (Feb. 14). It is fresh from our oven. All you need to do is order, pick up your pizza and pop it into your oven for a delicious Valentine Day's meal. A pepperoni/cheese pizza will cost only $10 and a supreme pizza (pepperoni, cheese, tomato sauce, peppers, onion, mushrooms or your combination request) is only $12. Call 866-3205 or 866-2004 now. When you taste your fresh baked pizza on Valentine's Day you will say "that's amore."
• Happy birthday to Carol Russell, Lindsay Gibler, Susan Gibler, Suzanne Neisel, Mary Ward, Esta Harsh, Tammy Lilly, Bev Neuman, Rick Schlimm, Bill Bowman, Gary Merrick, Chloe Chester, Ben Rodgers, Dottie Scott, Grace Brown, Jeff Hunter, Fred Drotleff, Matthew Barnes, Jackson Stark, Loues Thouvenin, Donna Mahoney, Jeff Beshore, Angela Reynolds, Brandon Nolen and Maddie Bland.
• Happy anniversary to Shawn and Linda Burgess, Michael and Ana Robinson, George and Virginia Keyes and Don and Vicki Dyke.
• The East Sparta American Legion Post 244 will meet on Thursday, Feb. 7, at the East Sparta Community Building.
• The East Sparta Women's Club will meet on Feb. 11, at the East Sparta Community Building, at 12:30 p.m.
• The Pike Grange will meet on Tuesday, Feb. 12, at the Grange building at 7:30 p.m.,
• Happy belated anniversary to Jim and Rosemary Herstine.
• Happy birthday wishes this week go out to Kyleigh Haueter, Bob Taylor, Cindy Sickafoose, Mason Franks, Joe Wigfield, Jane Davis, Steve Watson, Landon Wigfield, Karli Hughes, Cindy Cayton, Marjorie Locker, Joe Essig, Tom Witts, Katie Burkhart, Ava Schoeppner, Tucker Davis, Brian Walton, Krista Glaser, Jim Crilley, Caleb Blair and Barry Grodhaus.
• Happy anniversary to Jim and Nancy Presutti and Wayne and Lee Ellen Schmidt.
• Wishes of good health and God's healing go out to Buster Neice, George Cooney, Dakota Bolling, Alix Crim, Lori King, Peggy Dix, Nancy Pressutti, Chey Schubert, Rose Marie Shine, Justynne Hodge and Walker Gonzalez.
• You can still get in on the Sandy Valley Athletic Booster Club's lucky number drawing for a chance to win $50 daily and $100 on Sundays based on the Ohio Lottery Pick 3 Game for February. Tickets are $5 each. Contact any member of the SV Athletic Booster Club to get your lucky number.
• Sandy Valley Class of 1978 will hold its class reunion this year in July and a few classmates have yet to be located. If you know the location of a fellow classmate, please message Teresa Spencer Lewis on Facebook.
• Sandy Valley Class of 1983 is planning its 30th year class reunion to be held on Aug. 31. Contact Steve Lancaster for more information.
• Mark your calendars now and please plan to attend and support the annual Sandy Valley Scholarship Banquet. It will be held at the high school on Saturday, May 4, at the high school. Gold and silver classes to be honored include 1963 and 1988. This is held each year to raise money for the scholarship fund.
• Sandy Valley Girls Softball sign-ups will be held at Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church (at the corner of state Routes 183 and 800, across from Sandy Valley Elementary) Saturday, Feb. 9, from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.; Thursday, Feb. 14, from 6-8 p.m.; and Saturday, Feb. 16, from 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Contact league president, Bob Crone at 330-866-4372 for more information.
• Get ready for the annual Lion's Club Rose Day. The last order date is March 8, 2013. Delivery dates are March 22-23. For order information please call 330-866-2084 or contact any member of the Lion's Club.
• Magnolia United Methodist Church will have a family movie night on Sunday, Feb. 17, starting at 5 p.m. in the church fellowship hall. Pizza and popcorn will be provided. You will need to bring your own beverage. The movie that will be shown is "Mr. Popper's Penguins."
• Helping Hands Network will need donations of Easter candy for Easter baskets for children ages 2-12. Individually wrapped pieces of candy are preferable. Have your candy donations to the center by Feb. 28.
• Trinity Lutheran Church will hold a brunch after church on Feb. 10, which is a celebration of Saint Valentine. All are welcome to attend.
• Thanks to all who have been so generous and donated yarn to Trinity Lutheran Church Shawl Makers Group. They welcome any size yard and any color. Their next meeting is Feb. 28 at 6:30 p.m. They continue to knit baby caps, military caps and prayer shawls. They look forward to new members joining the group. If you know of anyone who would benefit with a gift of a prayer shawl, call the church 330-866-3035 and leave information so a prayer shawl can be delivered to that person.
• The Sandy Valley Community Choir will present an Easter Cantata titled, "God So Loved the World," on Palm Sunday, March 24, 6 p.m. at Magnolia United Methodist Church. This will be the only community service during the season of Lent, and offering proceeds will go to the Helping Hands Network. (See related story on Page A5.)
• Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church will open its Shepherd's Kitchen to serve a free community meal on Friday, Feb. 8. from 4:30-6 p.m. Bingo begins at 3:30 p.m. Deliveries can be made to shut ins by contacting the church at 330-866-9293. This meal is held every month on the second Friday.
• Shepherd of the Valley will hold a sausage and pancake supper on "Fat Tuesday," Feb. 12, from 5-7 p.m. All are welcome to attend.
• Happy birthday to Tawnya Wagner. Have a special day!
•My students are looking for active duty soldiers who would enjoy hearing from an elementary aged child. The students would also love to have a letter in return. Please let me know if you know of any members of the armed forced that can help.
• Did you know that General John Stark, Stark County's own groundhog, is from Waynesburg? He now lives at Sanders Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in Perry Township. In case you are wondering, he did not see his shadow last week, so this is good news for those of you who are tired of the cold.
• Jen Swihart, wife of Justin Swihart, cooked a traditional Korean meal for family and friends on Sunday afternoon. In addition to Jen and Justin, the delicious meal was served to Ed, Carmie and Jenna Swihart, Mike and Karen Mundy, Buster, Theresa and Joey Longo and Camryn Adin James Moore. Jen is Korean, and she and Justin will be leaving this week to spend a year there. Justin is serving in the United States Air Force.
•Hope you are having a great week, Waynesburg. Please don't forget to send in your news!
No Talk at press time.