CANTON SOUTH NEWS
• Hope everyone is ready for Super Bowl Sunday on Feb. 3.
•Having an anniversary this week are Dan and Georgia Oswald.
•Having birthdays this week are Kristi Trompower, Luke Hattery, Judy Christen, Erin Geiger, Jack Brooks, Laura Lewis, Andy Hussar, Walter Hall, Josh Kuhn, Joe Herstine, Emily Schneider, Melvin Teis, Camille Gill, Kathy Garren, Heidi McLain, Jim Gooding, Rustina Patterson, Nancy Edwards, Rose Reno and Diane Icardi.
• Get well wishes to Richard Stallman.
• Sympathy wishes go out to Carolyn Littlefield on the death of her husband, Keith Littlefield Sr.
• Congratulations to Lori Kiko who was entered into the Ohio Auctioneers Hall of Fame on Jan. 13 in Columbus, at the Ohio Auctioneers annual convention. Congratulations to Lori for being the youngest and also the first woman ever inducted into the Ohio Auctioneers Hall of Fame. She is employed by the Kiko Auction Company in Canton and has been a realtor auctioneer most of her adult life. In 1997, she was the International Lady Auctioneer Champion. She is the daughter of Richard and Pat Kiko, former Canton South residents. She is married to Randy Compton and she is also the great-niece of Gertrude Thouvenin of the Canton South area.
• Canton South Junior Guild held its Jan. 19 meeting at Grinder's Restaurant following dinner. Members will be taking orders for Tastefully Simple until their February meeting. Orders will be delivered in March. You can order by contacting any member of the Junior Guild. This is one of the projects which help fund our community endeavors along with our scholarship fund since we do not sponsor the craft show anymore.
• Canton South AARP 4885 met on Jan. 23 in the fellowship hall of North Industry Christian Church. Following the noon luncheon, the meeting and program followed. There were 77 luncheon reservations. Greeters were Myra Warstler and Marilyn Schaller. The program was presented by Janey Davis, storylady from East Canton Library. Fun Day will be held tomorrow, Feb. 1, at Athen's Restaurant at 11:30 a.m. There were 15 members present last month for lunch and bingo. February greeters will be Charlene Johnson and Mary Karcher. At the February meeting members will be donating items for the Ronald McDonald House Project. A list of suggested items was printed in the January newsletter. President Grace Thomas will hold a board meeting at her house in February to plan the agenda for 2013.
• Thought for the week: The shortest answer is doing. - English Proverb.
Call or fax
• Happy birthday wishes to Archie Sanders, Kenny Varian, Nathan Butler, Pam Blanc, Sarah Clapper, Helen Davis, Larry Smith, Pastor Erik, Sandi Bachman, Joe Downin, Mary Jewell, Becky Rupple, Brent Marzec and Dorothy Bucher.
• Happy anniversary to Dick and Marilyn Stauffer.
• It's time for the annual chili cook-off at the Foltz Community Center, on Friday, Feb. 8, 4:30-7:30 p.m. There will be three categories; spicy, mild and people's choice. The grand prize this year will be $100. All of you great chili cookers, and even those who want to try for the first time, sign up to take part and maybe you'll take home a pocket full of money. And for all you tasters, come out and enjoy some great chili, corn bread, refreshments and cookies. Suggested donation is $5. There will also be two 50-50 drawings at 5 p.m. and one at 7 p.m. For more information, call 330-488-6500.
•It's Senior Social Time again at the Foltz Center on Wednesday, Feb. 13. The program, which begins at 10:30 a.m., will be Shepis Chiropractis. The menu will be roast pork loin, mashed potatoes, vegetables, applesauce, drink and dessert. If you did not sign up last month, call for reservations by Feb. 6 at 330-488-6500. The meal is still only $6. Stay after lunch and play Bingo or cards or just chat with other seniors.
• Why pay for computer lessons when you can go to your local East Canton Library and learn free of charge. The lessons start on Wednesday Feb. 20, at 10:30 a.m. At 2 p.m., an internet searching class will be held. Call to register at 330-488-1501.
• You only have about two weeks to get the book titled "Room" by Emma Donoghue. The Book Club will be ready to discuss it on Tuesday, Feb. 12, at 7 p.m. Even if you don't read the book, come out and listen to the others discuss what they felt about the book.
• Sweet Stuff is happening at the library on Feb. 14 at 2 p.m. The story of chocolate will give you lots of information and answer questions such as: "Should you give your pets chocolate?" "Does chocolate cause acne?" Participants will also get a sweet taste of chocolate before they leave. This is sponsored by Anastasiades Exclusive Chocolates. For more information, call 330-488-1501.
• The Osnaburg Historical Society has a new website called: osnaburghistoricalsociety.com. Improvements continue to be made at the Mapleton Church Museum. Why not take a short ride and take a peek? For more information, call 330-488-1684.
• Keep these folks in your prayers: Nancy Owens, Nancy Kinsinger, Vicky Ray, Russell Layfield, Donna Hillman and Anne Mark.
• Can you guess the answer? What do elephants have that no other animal has? Baby elephants. Can an elephant jump higher then a house? Of course, a house can't jump at all.
• It is not too early to plan for the village garage sales on May 3-4. Start saving those articles that you want to pass to another and make room for some "good finds" from your neighbors. For any questions please call Linda Muir at 330-866-3205. These sales are a fund raiser sponsored by the East Sparta Civic Association. Profits will be used for the 75th annual East Sparta Homecoming entertainment.
• This Friday, Feb. 1, good food will again be available from 4:30-6:30 p.m., at the community building. Swiss steak or chicken with salad, mashed potatoes, vegetable, dessert and beverage will be served for only $6. Kids meals are priced at $3. Carry out meals are also available. Come for good food, fellowship while supporting the community building operating expenses.
• Sympathy of the community is extended to the family and friends of Marjorie Walsh, Don Lozier and Gertrude L. Byrd.
• Happy anniversary to Jim and Rosemary Shine.
• Happy birthday to Bryce Nolen, Arthur Maurer, Dennis Moriarty, Barb Sablar, Monda Kay Stallman, Claudia Stallman, Betty Jacoby, Stephanie Matthews, Bill Reed, Scott Muir, Gary Piatt and Steve Himes.
• Congratulations to Brooke A. Durbin, Kelly Harris, Sabrina Wallace, Sarah Hoffman, Chisty Alexander, Paul Barans, Kristine Watts and Katrina Bell.
• Pike Township Historical Society will meet on Tuesday, Feb. 5, 7:30 p.m., at the East Sparta Community Building.
• Happy birthday wishes this week go out to Judy Faiello, Matt Myers, Dick Beatty, David Good, Emma Geckler, Kyra Dillehay Yeager, Claudia Rogers, Bill McGovern, Darik Garber, Paul Burkhart, Jeff Loomis, Dee Larson, Marie Little and Mark Crowe.
• Happy anniversary to Kenny and Martha Barkheimer, Jim and Nancy Presutti and my parents, Jay and Carol Herstine who have been married 45 years.
• Wishes of good health and God's healing go out to Buster Neice, George Cooney, Mary Lou Cooper, Dakota Bolling, Clay Neisel, Alix Crim, Lori King, Peggy Dix, Nancy Pressutti, Chey Schubert, Nancy Tolfo, Gloria English, Rose Marie Shine, Justynne Hodge and Walker Gonzalez.
• Flipside Grill will host a benefit finner for Dakota Bolling on Monday, Feb. 4, from 3-8 p.m. Dakota, a 2011 Sandy Valley High School graduate, was in a serious car accident on state Route 800, Dec. 29, which required transport to Mercy Medical Center where she and one of her passengers remain, in the intensive care unit. With no health insurance, Dakota (and her family) face substantial expenses for her medical care. Two courses will be offered at the dinner. Spaghetti, for $10 or Swiss steak for $12. Seating is limited, so carry out orders will be available. Additional activities include a 50/50 drawing and a silent auction.
• The Sandy Valley Wrestling Team and parents are selling raffle tickets for a 1/2 hog--cut and wrapped. Tickets are $5 each or 6 for $20. See any member of the wrestling team to purchase yours soon because the drawing will be held in February.
• The Sandy Valley Athletic Booster Club is selling Lucky Number Drawing Tickets for a chance to win $50 daily and $100 on Sundays based on the Ohio Lottery Pick 3 Game for February. Tickets are $5 each. Please contact any member of the SV Athletic Booster Club to get your Lucky Number.
• The Sandy Valley Class of 1978 will hold its class reunion this year in July and a few classmates have yet to be located. If you know the location of a fellow classmate, please message Teresa Spencer Lewis on Facebook.
• Sandy Valley Class of 1983 is planning its 30th year class reunion to be held on Aug. 31. Contact Steve Lancaster for more information.
• Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church is holding an Italian Festival Fundraiser for the Shepherd's Kitchen Ministry. A lasagna dinner, a silent and live auctions, and 50/50 drawing will be held the evening of Feb. 2. Dinner will begin at 4:30 p.m. and the auction will be held at 6 p.m. Contact the church at 330-866-9293 for more information. Carry out tickets are also available.
• Mark your calendars now and please plan to attend and support the annual Sandy Valley scholarship banquet. It will be held at the high school on Saturday, May 4, at the high school. Gold and silver classes to be honored include 1963 and 1988. This is held each year to raise money for the Sandy Valley scholarship fund.
• Sandy Valley alumni will hold their monthly meeting on Monday, Feb. 11, at 6 p.m. in the alumni meeting room at the Sandy Valley administration office.
• Sandy Valley Girls Softball sign ups will be held at Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church (at the corner of routes 183 and 800, across from SV Elementary) Saturday, Feb. 9, from 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Thursday, Feb. 14, from 6-8 p.m. and Saturday, Feb. 16, from 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m. Contact league president, Bob Crone at 330-866-4372 for more information.
• Get ready for the annual Lion's Club Rose Day. The last order date is March 8. Delivery dates are March 22-23. For order information please call 330-866-2084 or contact any member of the Lion's Club.
• Sandy Valley Winter Homecoming game will be held this Friday at the high school against People's Baptist School. The homecoming dance will be held Feb. 2 at 8:30 p.m. in the cafeteria. Best of luck to all Cardinal teams and congratulations to king Tyler Smith and queen Steffani Dye.
Have a great week, Magnolia! Please call or e-mail your news for next week, so you can be the Talk of the Town!
• Happy birthday to Dick Davis, Jennifer Rodriques, Joni Adkins-Miller, Danielle King and Matthew and Andrew Neary. Have a special day!
• Happy belated birthday to Jacob Walker, Dave Adkins and Kaitlyn Nicole Williams.
• Anniversary wishes go out to Doug and Tracy Calkins, Kevin and Renee Weber and Seth and Janelle Eyster.
• A Swiss steak dinner is available at Malvern United Methodist Church from 4:30-7 p.m. Saturday. The dinner includes mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, coleslaw, applesauce, rolls, pie and beverage. The cost is $9 for those 12 and older and $5 for those 5 to 11. Children under 5 eat free. Half of the proceeds will go to the Cross-Eyed Missions in Waynesburg. The group provides eye care and glasses to areas of Central America.
• My students are looking for active duty soldiers who would enjoy hearing from an elementary aged child. The students would also love to have a letter in return. Please let me know if you know of any members of the Armed Forces who would like to receive mail.
• If you enjoy playing volleyball or corn hole, meet at the Little Country Church fellowship hall on Tuesday nights at 6:30. Come out and enjoy some fellowship and get exercise, too!
Hope you are having a great week, Waynesburg. Let me know if anything exciting is going on in your life!
No news at press time.