CANTON SOUTH NEWS
• Birthdays this week are being celebrated by Sharyn Kitzmiller, Larry Slutz Sr., Tim Neff, Carol Pribula, Linda Eckenweiler, Ed Barnes, Steve Halas, David Hughson, Tim Parr, Damon Dale and Devon Kress.
• Get well wishes to Dorothy McKinney, Judy Knox and Richard Stallman.
• The Jolly Eight's Card Club met on Jan. 9 at Crossroads Restaurant. Lil Heilman served as the hostess. After lunch, members played euchre. Prizes were won by Eileen Lower, Ginny Norris and Margaret Walters. The next gathering will be held on Feb. 13, with Helen Trompower serving as the hostess.
• The Pike Grange held its first meeting of the new year on Jan. 8. The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, Feb. 12, with a second meeting on Feb. 26, designated as dues paying night. Members voted to have the meetings starting at 6:30 p.m., instead of 7:30 p.m.
• The Stark County Safety Council met on Jan. 10 at Meyer's Lake Ballroom. The program was presented by Julie Weis, compliance assistance specialist at the Cleveland Occupational Safety and Health Administration office. Her topic was "OHSA, Everything We Need to Know and More…from record keeping requirements and updates to the top 10 violations." The spotlight company was Superior Search Group. The next program will be held on Feb. 14 at Meyer's Lake, which will be "Employers--Just Say YES to the Drug Free Safety Program; Understanding the Benefits of the Drug Free Safety Program." The panel will include Jodi Sabatino, employer services specialist, Ohio Bureau of Worker's Compensation; Dr. Bruce Hensley, Mercy Work Health and Safety; Attorneys Gust Callas, Black, McCuskey, Souers and Arbaught. The spotlight company will be Integrity Technical Services, Inc.
• Thought for the week…No one can walk backwards into the future. - Joseph Hergesheimer.
Call or fax
• Happy birthday to Audrey Floyd, Andrea Williams, Helen Davis, Ryan Smith Todd Griffith, Katie Moore, Judy Eakin, Mark Bonam, Chris Changet, Allan Henderson, Logan Helwig, Lucas Butler, Lillian Kandel, Rev. Clark Kandel Sr. and Logan McGee.
• Best wishes on your anniversary to Dick and Delores Haas, Pastor Rex and Deb Stout and Dave and Barbra Miller.
• Did you make that resolution, again, about losing a few pounds? Well.-- don't do it alone. Come to TOPS open house to learn to Take Off Pounds Sensibly. You won't find fad diets, and they can't guarantee you'll lose all you want. However, if you want to learn new eating habits, how to say "no" to seconds or how to enjoy a food-filled party without going overboard, then attend a free meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 29, 6 p.m., at Mt. Tabor United Methodist Church. It is held in the fellowship hall. Anyone attending will receive four weeks of free meetings. For more information, call 330-488-1010.
• It's happening right here in East Canton at the Foltz Center. Sunday brunches are held from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Come out and enjoy the many choices of omelets, salads, hot dishes, desserts and more for just $10. Children, 2-6 years old, can eat for $5, and it is free for children under 2. Come and enjoy a relaxing time with your family and friends.
•Why not try something new in the new year? Ladies, come out to the East Canton Library and give a try at writing. Visit and see if this is something you would like to do. Write about a different topic each week, Don't like the topic; then write something you do like. No one is graded and everyone has fun. The class is led by Janey Davis. Classes are held every Tuesday at 11 a.m., until noon, at the Foltz Center. For more information, call 330-488-1501,
• Attention to all young ladies planning on attending a homecoming or other event where you may need a beautiful gown to wear. Becca's Closet was started in the memory of a young lady who lost her life and always cared about others. In her memory, Becca's Closet has opened a 'branch closet' right here in East Canton, at St. Paul's United Church of Christ. Dresses are available in all sizes, styles and colors, and are available free of cost. To make an appointment to see the dresses, call 330-488-0189.
•Foltz Community Center of East Canton membership drive is underway. Stop in the office and sign up, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. When you join you will receive free faxes and copies though the year and use of the electronic sign and a one time discount on room rental. To learn more, call 330-488-6500.
• Senior Flex is open to all seniors and it is free at the Foltz Community Center. It is held every Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 9-10 a.m. Average attendance is 40 (men and women) and lots of room for more. For more information, call 330-488-6500.
•Send me birthdays, anniversaries and birth announcements while also letting me know who is elected in your groups or organizations at Donna4news@wmconnect.com, send three weeks prior to celebration. Please put Press-News as the topic or call 330-488-2622.
• Please keep these folks in your prayers: Nancy Kinsinger, Nancy Owens, Polly Blanc and Anne Mark.
•What kind of clothing does a house wear? Address. Why shouldn't you tell an egg a joke? Because it will crack up.
• The East Sparta, Sandyville and Pike Township bicentennial meeting will be held on Monday, Jan. 28, at 7 p.m. at the East Sparta Community Building. It is now a year closer to the special event, which will be celebrated in 2015. The group is planning how best to celebrate, as a combined group and/or with each entity having separate ceremonies. They need your ideas and welcome your input. If you are unable to come to meetings, give input on Facebook at East Sparta, Pike Township and Sandyville Bicentennial page.
• Order Super Bowl subs from East Sparta Cub Scouts before Jan. 27. Don't fuss about what to eat on Feb. 3. Order delicious subs from the Cub Scouts and leave the preparation to them. Last day to order and support the cubs is Jan. 26. Call Linda at 866-3205 to order and/or if you have any questions.
• Congratulations to Amanda Nickerson who graduated with a master's degree at the winter session at Ashland University. Also, congratulations to Amanda Ackerman and Brandon Nolen who graduated from Stark State College.
• Congratulations to Dale Bowman and Heather Yeager on the birth of their daughter on Jan. 3.
• Happy birthday to Sheila Bates, Alison Sickafoose, Matt Bailey, Bob Easterday, Beth Hampton, Bob Marraccini, Kelli Zaleski, Wendy Alleshouse, Lurae Lightner, Sophia Moneypenny, Linda Burgess, Micah Bailey, Jessica Herstine, Rick Minor and Ricky Theissen.
• Happy anniversary to Dave and Anne Boyd and to my husband, Bob.
• The East Sparta Civic Association will meet on Jan. 22 at 7 p.m. at the East Sparta Community Building.
• Happy birthday wishes this week go out to Bill Hayhurst, Jane Huff, Mona Essig, Kathy Wanner, Lisa Wigfield, Clarence Tindall, Michelle Neisel, Barb Zito Aller, Jessica Herstine, Brad Lancaster, Sarah Leyda, Don Nicholson Jr., Emily Summerson and Nina Faiello.
•Wishes of good health and God's healing go out to George Cooney, Mary Lou Cooper, Dakota Bolling, Clay Neisel, Alix Crim, Lori King, Peggy Dix, Nancy Pressutti, Chey Schubert, Nancy Tolfo, Gloria English, Rose Marie Shine, George Long, Justynne Hodge and Walker Gonzalez.
• Flipside Grill will host a benefit dinner for Dakota Bolling on Monday, Feb. 4, from 3-8 p.m. Dakota, a 2011 Sandy Valley graduate, was in a serious car accident on state Route 800, on Dec. 29, 2012. She required transportation to Mercy Medical Center, where she and one of her passengers remain in the intensive care unit. As you can imagine, with no health insurance, Dakota (and her family) face substantial expenses for her medical care. Two courses will be offered at the dinner. Spaghetti, for $10 or Swiss Steak for $12; seating is limited, so carry out orders will be available. Additional activities include a 50/50 drawing and a silent auction.
•Mark your calendars now and plan to attend and support the annual SV alumni scholarship banquet. It will be held at the high school on Saturday, May 4, at the high school. Gold and silver classes to be honored include 1963 and 1988. This is held each year to raise money for the SV scholarship fund.
• The Sandy Valley Wrestling Team and parents are selling raffle tickets for a one-half hog, cut and wrapped. Tickets are $5 each or 6 for $20. See any member of the wrestling team to purchase yours soon because the drawing will be held in February.
• The Sandy Valley girls basketball team is selling pizzas this month. They are $10 for a pepperoni and cheese or $12 for deluxe 12" pizza. Contact any member of the girls basketball team to place an order by Saturday, Jan. 19, as pizzas will be assembled that day.
• The Sandy Valley Athletic Booster Club is selling lucky number drawing tickets for a chance to win $50 daily and $100, on Sundays based on the Ohio Lottery Pick 3 Game for February. Tickets are $5.00 each. Please contact any member of the Booster Club to get your Lucky Number!
• Sandy Valley Class of 1978 will hold its class reunion this year in July and a few classmates have yet to be located. If you know the location of a fellow classmate, message Teresa Spencer Lewis on Facebook.
• Sandy Valley Class of 1983 is planning its 30th year class reunion to be held on Aug. 31. Contact Steve Lancaster for more information.
• Congratulations to Jeremy Cain and Michael Thompson who recently graduated from Stark State College and to Natalie Woodin who recently completed her master's degree at Stark State. Best of luck to all of you in your futures!
• David and Barb Shine of Fostoria, and Michael Shine and his daughters, Kaitlyn and Courtney spent Christmas with their mother and grandmother, Rose Marie Shine.
•Happy birthday to Mary McKinney and Jordan Frederick. Have a special day!
•The Sandy Valley Biggest Loser Challenge group now has 17 members! They have been busy getting healthy and have lost a total of 36.2 pounds in one week! Great job everyone! See you all next Saturday morning! Watch for updates on our progress! This is a great group of women and men to keep you motivated. Call Carrie Churilla, Renee Weber, Mary Mockerman, or Denise Cline for details.
•If you enjoy playing volleyball or corn hole, meet at the Little Country Church Fellowship Hall on Tuesday nights at 6:30 p.m. Come out and enjoy some fellowship and get exercise, too!
•Congratulations to Taylor Diehl for his role in the sophomore musical at Asbury University. Taylor will play the part of the tenor in the barbershop quartet in "The Music Man."
•Hope you are having a great week, Waynesburg. Don't forget to send your news my way.
No talk at press time.