CANTON SOUTH NEWS
• Anniversaries this week are being celebrated by Tim and Julie Ness.
• Birthdays this week are being marked by Rodger Trompower, Donna Thouvenin, Janet Hall, Sean Steward, Nancy Reinhart, Charlene Stelluto, Lauren Roska, Debbie Breniser, Matt Sterling, Helynn Terrell, Denny Herris, Gail Habrun, Nancy Dolvin, Lori Muir, Carole Baughman, Norman Eckinger, Cody Jolliff, Lori Smith and Robyn Rodocker.
• The Jan. 10 Stark County Safety Council meeting speaker will be Julie Weis, compliance assistance specialist from the Cleveland Ohio Safety and Health Administration Office. Her topic will be "OSHA--Everything We Need to Know and More-- from Recordkeeping Requirements and Updates to the Top 10 Violations." The spotlight company is Superior Search Group, a division of Superior Staffing.
• The Canton Local Rubber Stamp Club met on Thursday, Jan. 3, at Faircrest Middle School. JoAnn Brewster was in charge of the class. Members enjoyed making Valentine cards. The next meeting of the group will be held on Feb. 14, from 6-8 p.m., in the Faircrest Middle School Cafeteria.
• Canton South AARP 4885 Executive Board will meet on Jan. 17 at North Industry Christian Church at 10 a.m. The general meeting of the organization will be held on Wednesday, Jan. 23, with a noon luncheon followed by the business meeting and program.
• Congratulations to Jennifer and Tad Martinez on the birth of their new son, Marcus Lee who was born on Dec. 29, at 9:58 a.m. He weighed 7 lbs, 1 oz and was 20 inches long. Jennifer is the girls basketball coach at East Canton High School.
• Quote of the week…No one can walk backwards into the future. - Joseph Hergesheimer.
Call or fax
• Missing from the Mapleton area is a 2-year-old Rottweiler/ Shepherd mix, which is black and tan. Her name is Muffy, and she is very friendly and hyper.
• Birthday wishes this week go out to Orm Kinsinger, Brian Gero, Betty Hahn, Laura Andregg, Mary Shearer, Jean Davis, Vicki Butler, Norma Mitchell, Barb McCutechon, Harold Guisinger, Brandon Harris, Hannah Petersen, Davis Marion Jr. Brittani Harris, Sally Momirov and Stephanie Tallman.
• Happy anniversary to Earl and Kathy Hopkins, Vic and Joanne Varian, Willam and Lillian Crosbie and Mark and Diane Drivos.
• Don't forget to call to put in a birthday or an anniversary to be listed in the paper. Leave a message and a call back number.
• At your local library, the Ohio e-Book Project and Kindle will meet on Monday, Jan. 14 at 6:30 p.m. This class focuses on Kindle Generations 1-3 and Touch. If you don't know what that is all about, then make time to attend and learn. For more information, call 330-488-1501
• Senior Flex members enjoyed a few days off during the holidays. Everyone was back on Wednesday, Jan. 2, to start a new year of keeping fit. All senior citizens are invited to take part in the free exercising program at the Foltz Community Center. Program days are every Monday, Wednesday and Friday, from 9-10 a.m. Monday is video day. For more information, call 330-488-6500.
• Line dancing classes are back at the Foltz Center on Monday nights starting at 7 p.m. Cost is $5. Then, come back on Friday, Jan. 18, for a country-western dance from 8-11 p.m. For more information, call 330-455-2549.
• If you haven't taken a ride past the East Canton Lions Club building in the past couple weeks, then you have not noticed the Lions Club building is no longer standing. The land was purchased by the Greater East Canton Community Development Association.
• Please keep these folks in your prayers: Nancy Owens, Nancy Kinsinger, Correnne Allan, Karl Blattert and the family of Norma Heiner.
• What's better then a talking parrot? A spelling bee. What did the duck say when he ordered room service? Just put it on my bill.
• Happy belated birthday to Nicholas Dazey, Morgan Dye, Kim Gibler, Virginia Keyes, Mary Albright, Kathy Mayer, Eric Morris, Arterina Bailey, Karen Sanders, Abbey McDade, Lynn Norton and Abigail Naus.
• Happy belated anniversary to Gary and Bev Neuman, Steve and Anna LoPresti and John and Bertha Burns.
• Happy birthday to Dale Farber, Beulah Booth, Scott Harsha, Alden Sewell, Daniel Baum, David Butcher, Magdalene Wetter-Young, Traci Lunsford, Lucille Funk, Kelly Stephens, Paula Riter, Mindy Spinelli, Kimberly Rambaud, Richard Cordes, Tori Sickafoose, Patricia Davies and Dawn Naus.
• Happy anniversary to Edward and Betty Frank.
• Sympathy of the community is extended to the family and friends of Edith B. Boyd, Ocie F. Lewis and Samuel B. Grant.
• The East Sparta Water Board will meet on Jan. 14 at 7:30 p.m. at the East Sparta Town Hall.
• Join the fun on Friday, Jan. 11, at the East Sparta Community Building for a euchre card party. Euchre playing will begin at 7 p.m. Registration starts at 6 p.m. Food will be available. Door prizes, as well as cash prizes for winners will be given. Cost is $5. Proceeds will benefit the community building maintenance. Just learning and not a pro at this game? Join us - this is for fun and you may be lucky and win a prize.
• How American can this be: Enjoy watching the Super Bowl on Feb. 3 and support the Cub Scouts at the same time? Yes, again this year the Cub Scouts are preparing your subs. Call 330-866-3205 on or before Jan. 26 to place an order.
• Happy birthday wishes this week go out to Donna Hayhurst, Andrew Lidderdale, Paula Riter, Debbie Miller, Erin Weber, Jeff Hunter, Stephani Wigfield, Melissa Blair, Eric Hauenstein, Kyle Hayhurst, Scott Mercer, Kris Marino, Nick McClelland, Anna Miller, Brice Walton, Vicky Hicks, John Barrick, Aaron O'Brien, Lillie Behm and Courtney Huffman.
• Happy anniversary to Fred and Linda Dagenhard.
• Wishes of good health and God's healing go out to Dakota Bolling, Clay Neisel, Alix Crim, Lori King, Peggy Dix, Nancy Pressutti, Chey Schubert, Nancy Tolfo, Gloria English, Rose Marie Shine, George Long, Justynne Hodge and Walker Gonzalez.
• Sympathies are extended to the family and friends of Amber Hall, Kathy Speros and Ray Neice.
• Congratulations to Mike Murphy, son of Mike and Molly Murphy, who was recently promoted to sergeant in the US Marines. Mike and his wife Julianne and their son Michael visited with family over the New Year's holiday and returned safely home to Beaufort, SC. Mike has re-enlisted and will be going to Hawaii in April.
• Sandy Valley Academic Challenge Team will be competing on the Academic Challenge Show on Saturday.
• Welcome to Magnolia wishes go out to and Matt and Julie (Murphy) Freday and their son, Mason, who have moved into a home on north Main Street.
• A benefit spaghetti dinner will be held at the Sandy Valley Eagles on from 4-7 p.m. on Jan. 12 for Alix Crim. Alix is a graduate of Sandy Valley and daughter of Joel and Lori Collinsworth. She is suffering from Krohns disease. Anyone wishing to donate a basket to a raffle being held the night of the dinner, contact Lori at 330-209-7502.
• SV Alumni Meeting will be held Monday, Jan. 14, in the alumni room at the Administrative Office at 6 p.m. (Note the time change.)
• Mark your calendars now and plan to attend and support the annual SV Alumni Scholarship Banquet. It will be held at the high school on Saturday, May 4, at the high school. Gold and silver classes to be honored include 1963 and 1988. This is held each year to raise money for the SV scholarship fund.
• Sandy Valley class of 1983 is planning their 30th year class reunion to be held on Aug. 31. Contact Steve Lancaster for more information.
• Best of luck to area college students as you head back to school. We enjoyed having our daughter, Erika home over break (as I am sure many area parents did!). Sending her back doesn't get any easier. I can't believe all she has to do is student teaching and in May she will be graduating! Where does time go? Darleen Ullom wonders the same thing as she and family and friends celebrated her son Josh's graduation from Kent State University. Congratulations, Josh!!
• Have a great week, Magnolia!
• Sandy Valley Biggest Loser Challenge is a great way to work on your New Years resolutions. This group offers support and weekly weigh-ins. Monthly brainstorming meetings with tips and ideas to keep you motivated. The cost is only $10 per month and all is given back to members as weekly and monthly rewards. This is a great group of women and men to keep you motivated. Call Carrie Churilla, Renee Weber, Mary Mockerman or Denise Cline for details.
No news at press time.