CANTON SOUTH NEWS
• Birthdays this week are being celebrated by Ben Foringer, Michele DeLuca, Vee Shaffer, Pene Aubihl, Denise Covert, Ruth Ferrell, Kay Kovesci, Bobbie Taylor, Erica Parr, Coleen Roska, Jeanne Starcher, Lori Schneider, Willard Brechbuhler, Nancy Pennington, Bill Wheeler, Mike Teis, Mike Clawson, Holly Rothenstein, Cyndi Rorrer, Adam Hall, Sarah Hall and Ron Heaton.
• Ten years ago this week…The Jolly Eight's Card Club met at McCall's for lunch and returned to the home of Lil Heilman to play cards and celebrate the birthday of Helen Reicosky. Prizes were won by Helen Reicosky, Thelma Mack and Bea Eversole. The next meeting of the group was held on January 2 with Gloria Stark serving as the hostess.
Thought for the week…A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore. - Yogi Berra
Call or fax
• Birthday wishes to Jim Martin, Jeff DeLong Jr., Alanna Bush, Winston Owens, Wilbur Klotz, Brianna Rentz, Clinton Yeagley, Sheri Kinsinger, Julia Starcher, Larry Gorman, Sandra Vincent, Brenda Irwin, George Swan, Mahala Hill, Rod Hanni, Paul Lautzenheiser, Jessica Downin, McKensey Cross, Steve Lautzenheiser, Julia Starcher, Dave Ratchford Jr., Julie Oberly, William Barnett, Jennifer Clapper, Nathan Miller, Nathalie King, Tony Duskey, Josh Selby, Richard Zimmerman, Tom Loy, Heather Carson, Tim Erickson, Lisa Temsey, Alfred Jenkins III, Charles Cather, Vanessa Snyder, Mary Reed, Diane Gross, Madisyn Miller and Mario Snellenberger.
• Anniversary wishes to Kevin and Julie Thompson, Ron and Janice Swan, Ron and Bonnie Burns, David and Jean Geyer, Don and Gini VanVoorhis, Willard and Jean Berkebile, Chris and Amber Neal Sr., Gary and Missy Wellendorf, Chris Sr. and Amber Neal, Archie and Mary Sanders, Willard and Jean Berkebile, Don and Sharon Ackerman and Wayne and Sandy Hamilton.
• Ever wonder where all those Christmas Carols came from? Well, come out to the Foltz Community Center on Tuesday, Dec. 18, at 6:30 p.m. Join in with Chris Kenney as he sings some of the most loveable Christmas songs. Hope to see you there at this free event.
• Just a reminder to everyone to stop at the Foltz Center on Sunday, Dec 16, from 2-4 p.m to wish James (Eugene) Davis a very special happy birthday. He will celebrate his 50th birthday. His parents, Jim Sr. and Janey Davis, invite his friends, family and acquaintnces to the open house in Eugene. The Davises said no gifts, but just your presence will light up their son's day. For more information, call 330-488-1501.
• A Senior Social will be held Wednesday, Dec. 12, at 10:30 a.m. The Echoes will entertain, so late arrivers are asked to please enter quietly. Lunch will be served at 11:30 a.m. and will include chopped sirloin, mashed potatoes, vegetables and applesauce for $6. Call 330-488-6500 for more information or to make reservations. Stay after lunch and play Bingo, cards or just to socialize with your friends.
•The East Canton AARP will meet on Tuesday, Dec. 18, at 11:30 a.m. For this meeting, lunch will be served after the Echoes preform. The menu will include ham, augratin potatoes, vegetablesn and applesauce. All senior citizens are invited to attend the first two meetings for free. Lunch is $6, plus $1 for the program. Registration is due one week in advance by calling 330-488-1010 or 330-488-6500.
• Please keep these folks in your prayers:. Corrinne Allan and Floria Lyons. Sympathy to the Gary Ray family.
• What do you get from a pampered cow? Spoiled milk. Why couldn't the pony talk? Because he was a little horse. Why do cows have bells? Because their horns are broken.
SBlt Sympathy of the community is extended to the family and friends of Terri A. Willard.
• Happy birthday to Kim Laudato, Kathy Pontones, Brad Wharmby, Conner Ritter, Sandy Drummond, David Collier, Joe Severs II, Carrie Meek, Tyler Cook, Jeff Render, Randy McDade, Kathy Garvin, Derek Brown, Emma Lyndaker, Chaise Lyndaker and Gail Robinson.
• Happy Anniversary to Brian and Jennifer Robins.
• Thanks to everyone who decorated the outside of their property. The lights and decoration look wonderful.
• The Pike Grange will have the annual Christmas party on Dec. 18 at 7 p.m. (See more information on the Santa visit listing.)
• Happy birthday this week to Leisa Dunham, Nancy Presutti, Morgan Brown, Phyllis Kline, Tim Hinderer, Katie Kreitzer, Zach Ruegg, Bill Farber, Samantha Spitler, Kay Conley, Katelyn Fox, Becky Wisselgren, Jessica Eckinger, Jake Russell, Cindy Greer, Kevin Kiko, Grant Provance, Olivia Keck and Sarah Cayton.
• Happy anniversary to Dave and Barb Reece.
• Wishes of good health and God's healing go out to Alix Crim, Joel Collinsworth, Rose Marie Shine, Lori King, Nancy Pressutti, Chey Schubert, Nancy Tolfo, Rose Mary Techi, Sam Medley, Gloria English, George Long, Justynne Hodge and Walker Gonzalez.
• Sympathies are extended to the family and friends of Patsy Bowman.
• Congratulations to Josh and Katie Lee whose baby girl was born on Dec. 3. Little Emma weighed in at 8 pounds and was 20 inches long. Kevin and Connie Lee are proud grandparents from the area.
• Come and help celebrate Sandy Valley wrestling coach John Groff's 38 year career at the only home wrestling match on Thursday, Dec.13. The match begins at 6 p.m. in the high school gymnasium. All former wrestlers are encouraged to attend.
• The Sandy and Beaver Canal Society will hold its monthly meeting on Thursday, Dec. 13, at 7 p.m., in the meeting room at the fire station.
• Santa will be at the Sandy Township Fire Station on Friday, Dec. 14. Games and prizes will be held first starting at 6 p.m. and Santa will arrive by fire truck at 7 p.m. Everyone is welcome to attend.
• A benefit dinner will be held for Sandy Valley second grader Walker Gonzalez on Saturday, Dec. 15, from 4-7 p.m. at Tozzi's on 12th. (See related story.)
•A benefit spaghetti dinner will be held at the Sandy Valley Eagles on Jan. 12 for Alix Crim. Alix is a graduate of Sandy Valley and daughter of Joel and Lori Collinsworth. She is suffering from a disease known as Crohns. Anyone wishing to donate a basket to a raffle being held the night of the dinner, please contact Lori at 330-209-7502.
• Mark your calendars now and please plan to attend and support the Annual Sandy Valley Alumni Scholarship Banquet. It will be held at the high school on Saturday, May 4, at the high school. Gold and silver classes to be honored include 1963 and 1988. This is held each year to raise money for the scholarship fund.
• Any deer hunters who are interested in donating their excess processed deer meat to the less fortunate in our area, should contact the Helping Hands Network at 330-866-2005.
• Cat's Meow's of the Magnolia Bandstand and the Cobbler Shoppe, among others, are available from the Magnolia Area Historical Society and would make great Christmas gifts. Contact Paula Tolin at 330-866-5300 or Janet Rogers at 330-866-9744 to complete your collection. The Historical Society will hold its monthly meeting on Monday, Dec. 17, at 7:30 p.m., in the upstairs meeting room at Taggart's.
• Just a reminder that the 2013 Sandy Valley Community Holiday parade will be held in Magnolia. In 2014, the parade will be held in Waynesburg. And in 2015, it will be in East Sparta to help them celebrate their founding year. Thank you to everyone who organizes this event in each town each year!
Have a great week, Magnolia! Please call or e-mail your news for next week so you can be the Talk of the Town.
• Happy birthday to Tiffany Simmons, Reverend Bill Carter, Angel Solomon, Kamron Drobney, Josiah Lenox and Joan Adkins. We hope you have a wonderful day!
• Happy anniversary to Bob and Betty Fallot. Thank you both for all you do for our community!
• Guess what kids? Santa will be at the Waynesburg Fire Station on Sunday, Dec. 16, at 7 p.m. Get your Christmas lists ready and come out to see him.
• Last Saturday, the Haiti Foundation Against Poverty Fundraiser was able to bring in over $5000 in profit. Thank you to everyone who donated time, talent, and money. Thank you also to all who came out to support the people of Haiti. The HFAP committee is overwhelmed with gratitude for the Sandy Valley Community's generosity.
• Have a great week, Waynesburg. If you don't want to be on the naughty list, you need to send your news my way!
No news at press time.